Connect with us

News

Vicksburg Weather

]]>

Published

on

Today…Sunny. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 6 to 11 in the morning. Tonight…Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings 13 to 18. Thursday…Slight chance of light freezing rain and light sleet in the morning…then a chance of light rain in the afternoon. Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation 40 percent. Lowest wind chill readings 12 to 17 in the morning. Thursday Night…Chance of light rain and light sleet in the evening…then light rain likely…a chance of light freezing rain…light snow and light sleet after midnight. Ice accumulations of less than one quarter of an inch. Cloudy. Lows around 30. North winds around 5 mph. The chance of precipitation 70 percent. Friday…Rain…a chance of light freezing rain and light sleet in the morning…then rain in the afternoon. Cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 80 percent. Friday Night…Mostly cloudy with chance of rain…light sleet and slight chance of light snow in the evening…then partly cloudy with chance of light sleet and slight chance of light snow after midnight. Lows in the mid 20s. The chance of precipitation 40 percent. Saturday…Sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. Saturday Night…Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. Sunday…Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s. Sunday Night…A 20 percent chance of light rain after midnight. Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Monday…Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 60. Monday Night…Windy. Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 30s. Tuesday…Windy. Cloudy with chance of rain in the morning… Then mostly sunny with slight chance of rain in the afternoon. Colder. Highs in the lower 40s. The chance of rain 30 percent.]]]]> ]]>

Continue Reading

News

Flaggs asks judges to assist in curbing crime

Published

on

Mayor George Flaggs Jr. in a May 15, 2020 interview with the Vicksburg Daily News. (Photo via video screen grab. Video by David Day)

In a letter sent to Vicksburg and Warren County judges Monday, Mayor George Flaggs Jr. asked for help to curb crime in the River City.

Flaggs wrote that crime is “running rampant” in Vicksburg, and he “prayerfully and humbly” requested the judges consider adding two criteria to bails for anyone arrested on firearm-related offenses: GPS monitoring devices and a 7 p.m. curfew.

“I believe the only exceptions to the curfew should be for travel to or from work or to seek necessary medical treatment,” the mayor wrote. “These conditions of bail will help in protecting the public from future violence and assist our law enforcement officers in reducing and preventing crimes in our city.”

He added that he believes the measures are “imperative for the safety and future of our city.”

Read the entire letter below.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Mississippi’s seven-day average for new COVID-19 cases remains over 600 Monday

Published

on

Sunday and Monday saw the expected weekend drop in reported new COVID-19 cases and deaths. Mississippi’s seven-day average remains above 600.

The Mississippi State Department of Health reported three new COVID-19 cases Sunday in Warren County and no new cases Monday. No new deaths were reported either day. The cumulative number of cases in Warren County to date is 1,470, and the county’s death toll is 53.

Statewide, MSDH reported 294 new COVID-19 cases Sunday and 296 cases Monday, bringing the total cumulative confirmed cases in Mississippi to 105,228. The seven-day average of new cases is 646, higher by 197 cases from a month ago.

Most new cases are seen in younger people recently, and they are more likely to survive the virus than those 65 and older. By far, the age group reporting the most cases in Mississippi are young people from 18 to 29 years old.

MSDH reported Sunday that five additional Mississippians died of COVID-19 statewide. No new deaths were reported Monday. The cumulative number of deaths in the state is 3,101. The state’s rate of deaths to confirmed cases is about 3%.

Deaths are a lagging indicator. While July saw the highest number of new cases since the crisis began, August saw the highest number of deaths. The highest number of deaths in any one day was 67 reported Aug. 25.

MSDH reported Sunday that five deaths occurred between Oct. 5 and Oct. 10 in the following counties:

County Deaths reported Sunday
Lafayette 1
Leflore 1
Marion 1
Montgomery 1
Tate 1

New cases and deaths were reported to MSDH as of 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 10, and Sunday, Oct. 11. MSDH usually reports statistics on the COVID-19 coronavirus each day based on the previous day’s testing and death reports.

The primary metric concerning state health officials are the numbers of people hospitalized, and that number rose steadily with the rise of new cases in July and August. On June 6, the number of Mississippians hospitalized with confirmed cases of COVID-19 was at 358. Hospitalizations nearly tripled by late July. They leveled off in early August and began noticeably dropping in the middle of the month including critical cases and numbers of people requiring ventilators. Hospitalizations continued to drop in September but levelled off at the middle of the month. They continued to drop through Oct. 3; however, they began showing a definite rise last week.

The number of Mississippians hospitalized for the virus as of 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 9, is 600, about half of the late July peak of more than 1,200. The number includes 491 with confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 109 people with suspected but unconfirmed cases. Of those with confirmed infections, 136 were critically ill and in intensive care units and 59 were on ventilators.

Source: MSDH

MSDH has estimated the number of people who can be presumed recovered from COVID-19 in Mississippi. That number is 90,577 through Sunday, Oct. 4. This figure is updated weekly. It represents about 86% of the cumulative 105,228 cases reported Monday, Oct. 11.

The number of cases in Warren County three weeks ago, Monday, Sept. 21, was 1,381, therefore the estimated number of people presumed recovered in the county is 1,328, or about 90.3% of the 1,470 cumulative cases reported as of Monday, Oct. 11. The county has an estimated 89 active cases.

These estimates are based on MSDH’s guidelines for calculating estimated recoveries when hospitalizations are not known, using the number of cases 21 days ago, less known outcomes (deaths).

The total number of Mississippians tested for COVID-19 (PCR and antigen tests identifying current infections) as of Sunday, Oct. 3, is 863,957 or about 29% of the state’s 2.976 million residents. The positivity rate (positive results to tests, seven-day average) was 6.3% Sunday according to Johns Hopkins University. The national rate is 5%, and 5% or lower indicates adequate testing.

The total number of outbreaks in long-term care facilities is 126 Monday. About 40.1%, or 1,258, of the state’s total deaths were people in long-term care facilities.

A total of 25 deaths in Warren County were residents of LTC facilities.

MSDH is no longer reporting outbreaks in individual long-term care facilities in Mississippi and has replaced it with access to a database from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. You can access and search the data here. The latest data available is for the week ending Sept. 27.

For additional information, visit the MSDH website.

Continue Reading

Events

Vicksburg High band holds fundraiser for new instruments

Published

on

The Vicksburg High School band is holding a garage-sale fundraiser for new musical instruments this coming weekend.

The event is Saturday, Oct. 17, from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Vicksburg City Park Pavilion located at 100 Army Navy Drive.

The sale will include clothing for men, women and children, furniture, food and many more items.

Vickie Baker, VHS band director and host for the event, is hoping for a big turnout to help the band purchase new instruments.

For further information, email Vickie Baker at [email protected].

Continue Reading

Trending