by the Vicksburg Police Department
The Vicksburg Police Department is now accepting applications for new Police Officers to join our team. We currently have openings in our Patrol Division. Our goal is to hire these new officers in January 2022.
- Candidates must be 21 years of age
- Candidates must be United States citizens
- Candidates must be High school graduates. GED’s are acceptable.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license
- If a candidate has any military service, they must have been discharged under honorable conditions
- Candidates must pass physical fitness agility test
- Candidates must score 70% or better on Civil Service written examination
- Candidates must pass a background check. Candidates cannot have any felony convictions or any misdemeanor Domestic Violence convictions.
- Candidates must pass a physical examination
- Candidates must pass a drug screen
- Candidates must receive a satisfactory psychological evaluation
- The beginning salary for police officers is $16.12 per hour, with educational incentives offered for Associates, Bachelors and Masters Degrees.
- We offer a great benefits package which includes employer-paid health, life, dental & vision insurance for employees. Family insurance packages are offered at competitive rates.
- Our officers are on the State of Mississippi Retirement Plan.
- We have 9 paid Holidays each year, and our officers accrue paid sick and personal leave.
The testing process will begin on Oct. 9, and will be consist of three parts:
- The physical agility test will be held on Saturday, Oct. 9, at 8 a.m. at the Vicksburg High School Stadium. Test will consist of push-ups, trunk flexion, agility run, and 1.5-mile endurance run.
- The written test will follow on Monday, Oct. 18, at 9 a.m. at Vicksburg Police Department Training Room, 820 Veto Street. Test will consist of a reading ability test and the Entry-Level Police Test. The Reading Ability Test is pass/fail; you cannot continue in the testing process if you do not pass this segment.
- On Tuesday, Oct. 19, at 9 a.m. the oral segment of the test will be held in the Vicksburg Police Department Training Room, 820 Veto Street. Candidates will be presented with a number of scenarios and given four minutes to formulate and verbally respond to each one while being recorded and filmed.
After the testing process is complete, officers of the Vicksburg Police Department will conduct thorough background investigations on each passing candidate. This process will take approximately two months.
Once the background investigations are complete, candidates will be interviewed by a board of senior officers of the Vicksburg Police Department. Afterwards, those who are selected will be scheduled for a medical physical with a drug screen and a psychological evaluation.
Where to Apply:
Application packets may be obtained at the City of Vicksburg Human Resource Office, 1415 Walnut Street, Suite 100, Vicksburg, Mississippi 39180 beginning Wednesday, Sep. 1, during regular business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The deadline to return application packets is 4 p.m., Friday, Oct. 1. For more information, call 601-631-2996, or visit www.vicksburg.org.