Cases of COVID-19 novel coronavirus continue to be reported in Mississippi. This afternoon the State Department of Health announced that a total of six cases have been reported, up from three this morning and one the day before.
Friday afternoon, President Donald Trump declared a national emergency due to COVID-19.
Due to the highly infectious nature of the virus, numerous organizations have announced cancellations and closures. On Friday, the Vicksburg-Warren School District announced it would close on Monday, and the Vicksburg Driver’s License Office announced it would be closed until further notice.
Among the other closures announced around the state, as initially compiled by WLBT on Friday, March 13:
Museums and Galleries:
- Mississippi Museum of Natural Science
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Museum of Mississippi History
- Mississippi Civil Rights Museum
- Eudora Welty House and Garden
- Mississippi Governor’s Mansion
- Old Capitol Museum
- William F. Winter Archives and History Building
- Wyatt Waters Gallery
- Walter Anderson Museum of Art
- Grand Village of the Natchez Indians
- Winterville Mounds
These universities have extended spring break until March 22. Classes will resume Monday, March 23 and will be taught online and via other instructional methods.
- Alcorn State University
- Delta State University
- Jackson State University
- Mississippi State University
- Mississippi University for Women
- Mississippi Valley State University
- University of Mississippi
- University of Southern Mississippi
Classes will resume on Monday, March 23, and will transition to online instruction through at least April 3.
- Belhaven University
- Mississippi College
- Millsaps College
- The Mississippi Association of Community Colleges has suspended all college athletics until Monday, March 30.
The following community colleges will resume classes as normal on Monday, March 23:
- Hinds Community College
- Pearl River Community College
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
The following community colleges will resume classes online on Monday, March 23:
- Meridian Community College
Northwest Mississippi Community College is extending spring break until Monday, March 23. It has not been determined if classes will resume on campus or online.
- The Vicksburg-Warren School District has announced it will close Monday, March 16. It did not announce when the closure would end.
- For other public school closures, visit the Mississippi Department of Education school district closure tracker.
- Vicksburg Catholic Schools are extending spring break an additional two days. Classes are scheduled to resume Wednesday, March 18.
Several churches have announced that will be providing services via live streaming only (or TV-only) this Sunday including:
- Pinelake Church
- First Baptist Church Jackson
- Broadmoor Baptist Church
- Northminster Baptist Church
- Galloway United Methodist Church
- Paddy’s Day Parade, Friday, March 28
- Televangelist Joel Osteen’s Night of Hope, Friday, March 13.
- Bettye Jolly Lecture at Eudora Welty House and Garden, Thursday, March 19
- New Stage Theater event at Old Capitol Museum, Tuesday, March 31
- Pow Wow at the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians, Saturday, March 28
- 28th annual CelticFest, March 20-21
- The Oxford Film Festival, March 18-22 (postponed)
Sporting event cancellations:
- Southwestern Athletic Conference
- Southeastern Conference
- Conference USA
- The South, North, and State Championship Archery in Mississippi Schools (AIMS)
- The Winter Guard Championships in Dayton, Ohio have been canceled
- The N.B.A., the N.H.L., M.L.S. and Major League Baseball suspended play.
- The Masters golf tournament (postponed)
- The Boston Marathon (to be rescheduled for September)
Closures continue to be announced, and this list is not comprehensive. Before heading out to a public gathering or event, make a call to ensure it hasn’t be canceled or postponed.
For information about the virus, please visit the Mississippi Department of Health website.