Monday, Nov. 30 is the final day to submit comments on the the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Environmental Impact Statement in support of finishing the Yazoo Backwater Pumps. State officials are urging Mississippians to weigh in.
“We’ve seen the devastation that the backwater flooding has caused to Mississippi agriculture, farmers, ranchers and wildlife for years now, unnecessarily. The solution is simple, we need to finish the Yazoo Pump Project, which would prevent flood damage to urban and agricultural areas throughout the state for years to come,” said Andy Gipson, commissioner of agriculture and commerce, in a statement.
“The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is currently accepting comments from citizens through Monday, Nov. 30, on the Yazoo Area Pump Project, and I encourage all Mississippians to take a moment and submit a comment of support. We need to stand up for our friends in the Mississippi South Delta and help them in their time of need. It’s time to finish the pumps.”
Lt. Gov. Delbert Hosemann tweeted a brief video Monday in support of the finishing the pumps.
Support our farmers, wildlife, and the future of the South Delta by encouraging the federal government to #FinishthePumps. Text PUMPS to 50457 to submit a comment to the Corps of Engineers by November 30. pic.twitter.com/e0w5VrPgan
— Delbert Hosemann (@DelbertHosemann) November 24, 2020
Comments must be submitted by Monday, Nov. 30. Submit comments using one of the following methods:
- Text PUMPS to 50457.
- Send a voicemail or text message to 601-392-2237.
- Go to https://www.forgottenbackwaterflood.com/ or https://finishthepumps.com/ to fill out an online form to send to the Corps.
- Fill out a postcard available at sites around the state including Valley Park Elevator in Valley Park, Lo-Sto and Yore Convenience Store in Eagle Lake, Mississippi Ag Company and Chuck’s Dairy Bar in Rolling Fork, Mississippi Levee Board and Sherman’s Restaurant in Greenville, Toney’s Grill in Vicksburg and the Mississippi Delta Council in Stoneville.
- Send an email to [email protected]
- Write to the Corps at the following address:
S. Army Corps of Engineers
4155 Clay Street
Vicksburg, MS 39183-3435