This week teachers are being showered with appreciation and deals including freebies and offers of free food, and we have Eleanor Roosevelt to thank. In 1953 Roosevelt, an advocate for education and educators, championed congress to set aside a specific week to honor and celebrate teachers everywhere. Even with Roosevelt’s support, it would be another 27 years for it to become an officially recognized national day. The National Education Association (NEA) lobbied Congress to have the day nationally recognized, and the first official Teachers’ Appreciation Week was celebrated in 1980.
Local deals for teachers include:
- Chic-Fil-A is offering teachers a free chicken sandwich Monday from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Sonic is giving teachers a free large drink or slush with any purchase now through May 9
- Divine Donuts is giving teachers two free glazed donuts on Tuesday
- Cafe Paradiso is doing a free muffin or danish with drink purchase. They also have a cookie + gift card for $15 for teacher appreciation week.
- KFC is offering 10% off teacher orders
- Sweets Easy will have a buy one one get one free promotion for all products or educators Tuesday through Saturday
- Pizza Hut on Clay street is offering $6.99 for 1 topping pizza, carry out only
- Pizza Inn is offering a large, single topping pizza for $7.99
- Bops is offering a free treat to teachers of their choice.
All offers require teachers to present school ID’s or badges.