Connect with us
[the_ad_placement id="manual-placement"]

Flood 2011

How to Obtain a Building Permit for a Flood Damaged Structure




Be aware that a building permit is not required to remove damaged dry wall (sheetrock) from the walls or ceiling inside a flood damaged structure. 1. Fill out completely an application for a building permit at the Building & Planning Department located at 819 South Street. 2. Depending on the location of the damaged structure, the Permit Technician will determine if the structure is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) or outside the SFHA. 3. If the structure is located outside the SFHA the owner or the owner’s agent can obtain a building permit and proceed with the repairs. Remember that the owner or contractor must call for the required inspections. A list of the required inspections are available at the Building & Planning Department and can be picked up at the time of issuance of the permit. 4. If the structure is located inside the SFHA, the Building & Planning Department will perform a damage assessment survey and determine if the structure has been substantially damaged. Substantial damage is a structure that is damaged so that the cost of restoring it to its predamaged condition would equal or exceed 50% of the market value (the building value excluding the land). Market Value can be established by an independent certified appraisal, replacement cost depreciated by age of building-actual cash value or adjusted assessed values. 5. If the structure is less than 50% substantially damaged, the property owner or the owners agent can receive a building permit and make the necessary repairs to the structure. 6. If the structure is 50% or greater substantially damaged, the structure must comply with the City’s Floodplain Damage Prevention Ordinance. The property owner must decide on one of the following:

a) Relocate the structure outside of the SFHA. b) Elevate the structure to the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) plus 2 feet. c) Demolish the structure.

7. If the structure is determined to be substantially damaged and the property owner wishes to occupy the structure without complying with any of the measures mentioned above in #6, the owner may consider signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the City of Vicksburg. 8. Contact the Building & Planning Department at 601-634-4528 should you have any questions concerning the permit and inspection process. 9. All structures that have been inundated by the flood waters will need to be inspected before utilities can be released. 10. Those structures in which the electrical systems was under water will need to be inspected by a licensed electrician before the electricity will be released. The use of a temporary power pole may be required during the reconstruction phase if the electrical system is unable to pass inspection. 11. Those structures in which the gas piping system was under water will need to be purged and tested by a licensed plumber before the gas will be released. Building & Planning Department Vicksburg, Mississippi 601-634-4528]]]]> ]]>

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2021 Vicksburg Daily News.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!