Connect with us

Business

Dick’s Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million in inventory of assault-style rifles

Published

on

Photo by Mike Mozart from Funny YouTube, USA - Dick's Sporting Goods, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48434443

Dicks Sporting Goods has destroyed $5 million of its inventory of assault-style rifles since it announced last year it would stop selling them.

Dick’s Chief Executive Officer Ed Stack wrote in his book that rather than return the weapons to manufacturers, it turned them into scrap, USA Today reported. The book, “It’s How We Play the Game: Build a Business. Take a Stand. Make a Difference,” goes on sale today.

Stack reiterated the statement in an interview with “CBS News Sunday” on Oct. 6.

“I said, ‘You know what? If we really think these things should be off the street, then we need to destroy them,” Stack said.

He added that he removed AR-15s from all Dick’s stores after the Connecticut Sandy Hook shootings in 2012, which left 27 dead including 20 6- and 7-year-old children. Then, after last year’s Parkland, Fla., shooting left 17 dead at a high school, he pulled high-capacity magazines, removed all assault-style weapons from Dick’s shelves and stopped selling guns to anyone younger than 21.

In a February 2018 statement, Stack made his company’s stand on guns clear.

“We have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us,” he wrote. “Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America — our kids.”

The company lost about $250 million because of those decisions, Stack told CBS.

Reaction to the interview has been mixed.

The National Rifle Association tweeted that the company destroyed the weapons “to keep them out of private hands” and referenced an article by right-wing media outlet Breitbart, which reported that 100 Dick’s stores no longer sell guns at all.

Dick’s announced last March that it pulled all firearms in 125 of its 720 stores. Depending on how well those stores perform, it may expand the policy to additional locations.

Dick’s has seven stores in Mississippi. It’s unclear whether any of those stores have been affected by the policy.

Some on social media said Dick’s gun policies had them stop patronizing them, while others said they were proud to support the store.

Last month, CEOs from 145 companies signed a letter urging U.S. Senate leaders to enact gun reforms including expanded background checks. Signatories included companies such as Conde Nast and Twitter.

“These proposals are common-sense, bipartisan and widely supported by the American public,” the CEOs wrote about legislation passed by the House. “It is time for the Senate to take action.”

Business

John’s Grocery business sliding due to Highway 80 closure

Published

on

(photo by Thomas Parker)

Randall Mauck and his family have operated John’s Grocery (2033 U.S. Highway 80) since 1971. They purchased the store from the Buck family who first opened Buck’s Store at that location in 1939.

Mauck says the closure of Highway 80 just east of his location due to the road collapsing is hitting his business hard. Much of their business centers around lunch. They specialize in custom burgers, po-boys, sandwiches and lunch meat sales. Mauck says the added time to get to his store is keeping many customers away.

Randall Mauck (photo by Thomas Parker)

“People with only a half-hour lunch break can’t get here and back to work due to the added 10 to 15 minute travel time,” he said, adding, “My afternoon business is still good with people who live out this way.”

John’s Grocery also offers sandwich trays for parties and meetings.

Mauck is concerned the estimated six to eight months repair time could spell the end for his long-time Warren County business.

His isn’t the only small business to suffer a loss of revenue due to the many road closures in the area. As a community, keep those business in mind when making your buying decisions.

Be sure to stop by John’s Grocery for lunch soon, and check them out on Facebook.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Mississippi businesses targeted with official-looking mailers

Published

on

The Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office and the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office warns the business community of deceptive letters requesting a $90.50 fee to order certain business documents from the Secretary of State’s Office.

The Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office received numerous reports of a company using the fictitious name, MS Certificate Service, soliciting misleading “2020 Certificate of Existence Request Forms” to businesses throughout Mississippi. This solicitation is not sent or authorized by the Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office.

Registered businesses in Mississippi do not have to respond or send payment to the third party, MS Certificate Service.

“Scams like this resurface quite often in an attempt to cheat hardworking, unsuspecting business owners who are doing their best to stay on top of everything,” said Secretary Michael Watson in a statement. “Our office takes pride in having an affordable business filing system, and we work hard to make sure no business owner gets taken advantage of by groups like this. We encourage all businesses to be vigilant and report anything suspicious or misleading. A big thank you to those who brought this one to our attention.”
Misleading solicitations may:
  • Require a fee.
  • Cite specific Mississippi statutes.
  • Contain a due date for your response.
  • Appear similar to a government form.
  • Contain a “Customer ID Number” that does not match a number given to you by a State or Federal Agency.
  • Contain a warning to make sure that the form’s instructions are followed exactly when completing the form.
  • Contain your business entity’s actual business ID number and date of formation, as reflected in the Secretary of State’s business records.
A certificate of good standing in the state of Mississippi can be ordered online at www.sos.ms.gov. Online processing costs $25 and is immediate.

Businesses can report deceptive or misleading solicitations to the Secretary of State’s Office or the Attorney General’s Office. The Mississippi Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline is 1-800-281-4418.

For more information, call the Secretary of State’s Business Services Division at (601) 359-1633 or 1-800-256-3494 or visit https://www.sos.ms.gov/BusinessServices/Pages/default.aspx.

An example of a scam mailer sent to Mississippi businesses. Click to expand. (image from MSOS)

Continue Reading

Business

Love’s donates $2,000 to Bovina Elementary

Published

on

Vicksburg Mayor George Flaggs Jr., left, and Vicksburg-Warren Partnership President Pablo Diaz, right, look on as Love’s Manager Quentin Ryland cuts the ribbon with area school children to the new Love’s in Flowers.

Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores donated $2,000 to Bovina Elementary School during the grand opening of its new location in Flowers, Miss., today.

The Flowers store, located off Interstate 20, adds 72 jobs and 94 truck parking spaces to Warren County. It is one of three stores the company officially opened within the past week. The other two stores are in Greenville, Va., and Watonga, Okla.

“These new locations allow us to serve professional and four-wheel drivers and get them back on the road quickly,” said Tom Love, founder and executive chairman of Love’s, in a statement. “We’re excited to continue adding convenient locations to communities across the country.”

With more than 9,000 square feet, the new Love’s in Flowers includes an Arby’s, showers and laundry facilities, and even a dog park providing interstate travelers a safe and convenient stop, and locals a new fast-food option.

In addition to the donation to Bovina Elementary, Love’s is also donating $2,000 to Riverheads High School in Greenville and $2,000 to Building A Better You in Watonga.

See our tour of the new store on our Facebook page.

Continue Reading

Trending